Tuesday 29 April 2008

REVIEW: Ms Marvel - 26




Ok - time for a quick rant. 

I picked up Ms Marvel for the first time two issues back, with the express intent of reading it through the Secret Invasion storyline and canning it thereafter.

But since that initial thought, I actually read the comic in question. Twice. Three times if you count this issue.

And you know what? I'm probably going to carry on picking the book up after Secret Invasion ends. It's very well written, it's engaging, the artwork is fantastic, and I find myself truly interested in the character.

So why is this a rant?

Because this one book sums up everything that Marvel is doing at the moment, and everything that DC should be doing. I've read two issues - and I'm hooked. The last DC book that I thought was a worthwhile read was Booster Gold 1. But - when it first came out, because I'd been stung with a year's worth of 'average' 52, I gave it a miss.

Turns out it was a pretty good book. Which I found out, 6 months later - after picking up one of the multiple copies in the bargain bin at my local comic shop. I paid 50p. I would have happily paid the full cover price and put the book on my pull list - if only I'd been enticed to do so.

The covers to the past three issues of Ms Marvel had me more interested than I thought I would be, way before I'd even opened the cover.

Why DC? It doesn't have to be this way. You can be good too!

Having said all this however, I thought it only fair to give DC another try. That's why on Thursday, I'll be reviewing Titans 1. But more of that then. In the here and now...

***SPOILER ALERT***

As you might expect from the above essay, as with the books before it, I did quite like this issue. 

The storyline picks up right after issue 25 - Ms Marvel standing over the body of William staring down the barrel of Agent Sum's gun, with the revelation that a doppleganger Skrull is on the loose...

So after a brief fight with Lightening Storm, a face off between Ms Marvel and Ms Marvel, a battle with another Skrull and revelation at the end of the book - should you buy it?

Hell yes! Did you not read the top part of this review?

Pete's Score: 4 out of 5
(worthwhile on multiple levels - as part of the larger Secret Invasion or in its own right)

No comments: